Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Water Lily"



With the warmer weather this past week, the ice went out of Lake Francis, and I started thinking about getting out my kayak. I love getting out onto the lakes and streams whenever possible. There's always something to see when you're on the water, and I usually take my camera along, to capture those fleeting images that may someday turn into paintings.

A couple of years ago, I was kayaking on an inlet to Third Connecticut Lake, where the water was calmly flowing in a gentle current into the lake. There, growing from the shallow depths of the stream, were yellow water lilies, floating and swaying as the water drifted by. One particular lily caught my eye, and my camera forever captured it's simple elegance. While the other lilies, bobbed and dipped in the gentle flow, this lily rose out of the water, above floating green leaves, as if to say, "I will stand tall, and show strength amidst diversity."

If only we could embrace that elegance, secure in who we are, daring to be different, and allowing others to be who they are. Acceptance, can only be found in the strength of one's inner self. Mother nature has a wonderful way of teaching.

"Water Lily"
Blue Butterfly Series #3
8 x 10 Original Oil Painting on Canvas
$100.00

To purchase this painting, please contact the artist.


Visit ArtRECreation, my art and history blog to read this article about the series of water lily paintings created by Claude Monet.
French impressionist painter Claude Monet (1840-1926), a diversity in water lilies.

No comments:

Post a Comment